Pages

Sunday 9 October 2011

Next stop


I used to love train travel. There was something romantic and adventurous about cutting through the British countryside, the world rushing by, with nothing to do but stare out of the window, daydream or crack on with my book.

Now there’s wifi, enhanced network and goodness knows what else, which means that we all have to  endure the woman next to me loudly giving her husband step by step instructions on how to cook the dinner. 

And every-time I take the train there are less and less carriages and I am forced to stand in closer and closer proximity to dozens of strangers.

People do not always give the same attention to personal hygiene as I would like. Don't make me stand in their armpit. Please.

But the thing that has really gotten my goat is this: Have you noticed that whatever form of public transport you travel on nowadays, the same robotically-voiced woman appears, every 30 seconds, reminding you of the type of public transport you boarded, your destination and every stop on the way? Are we all idiots who need to be reminded constantly where we are and what we’re doing?

No, it’s too much.

I’m getting off the train. Before I actually do need someone to remind me where I am and where I’m going, and the robo-voiced woman makes a mockery of us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment