Pages

Monday 4 July 2011

A public service announcement about getting sacked

My brother got fired last week. Don’t worry he consented to me publishing it here on the tinterweb - I did ask.
He hated his job. It really was a dreadful job at a dreadful place. I won’t say where, just in case they want to sue me for libel. They would probably try, what with them being so dreadful. And as you know, I’ve got no money to pay the lawyers bill.
He often talked of resigning, but he had no other job to go to – and surely a small salary where the price is misery is better than no job or money at all?
I’m not so sure.
I have a few friends whose jobs are genuinely grinding them down.
Things are not going well. They wake up in the night worried sick. The thought of work is making them physically ill.
Sound familiar?
Ok, well how about you imagine that you were fired last week. You have no choice but to accept it – so you may as well see it a good thing.
You hated your situation and this has forced change to happen.
What a wonderful opportunity.
Breathe a sigh of relief – they literally LET YOU GO.
Genuinely – perhaps getting fired is the best thing that can happen to you?
Perhaps it means that you are at odds with the company. I told my brother to rejoice. Clearly he is not moronic enough to be employed by morons.
Now I know that people have bills to pay and kids to feed and we are in a recession - so please do not think that I am in any way making light of losing your job. But I am talking here about those jobs that are causing people genuine misery, depression, or self doubt.
I reckon that if you were fired you’d find a way. If I was fired from my job tomorrow I can think of ways (all legal) that I could make the money to pay this month’s rent.
Luckily I do not hate my job. But if I did, if I really hated it...
If people constantly reject your ideas and what you have to offer – then you should leave. And if they fire you – then thank them.
They've inadvertently done you a favour.

Ps. if anyone has any jobs in the West Midlands region where misery, depression and self loathing are not key criteria of the role, please message my brother.

1 comment:

  1. Of course you are right. To spend eight, ten , twelve hours a day doing something you hate can't be healthy.

    That said I hope he finds another (better) job soon.

    ReplyDelete