So, second instalment of Channel 4’s new series was on last night. Jumping on the Money Saving Madam bandwagon if you ask me, but maybe I’m biased.
If you missed it, watch it at 4 online here
In summary: Mrs Moneypenny is still wearing the orange hat and this week she showed the world her lovely beige bra too. She also met another family who were literally throwing money down the drain. Who spends 10k annually on food? That’s some nectar points right there.
This week, I thought I would divide my comment into 2 sections.
1. The ridiculous and 2. The less ridiculous. That way, if you are pressed for time, you can decide which you’d rather go for.
Ridiculous advice from Superscrimpers Part 2
- Dog wool yarn can be just as effective as sheep wool. Turn your cute puppy into socks and mittens. Watch out pooches, times be tough.
- If your trainers have died a death, smell of a teenager’s bedroom and deserve only to end up in landfill, pour in cat-litter to revive them.
- Naming your children ‘Costcentre 1’ and ‘Costcentre 2’will encourage you to see them as the wasteful, expensive resources they really are.
- Pouring porridge oats into your mince will make the meat go twice as far. (and taste half as nice) Lasagne anyone?
Less ridiculous advice from Superscrimpers Part 2
- Wrapping paper can be reused. This is not ‘cheap,’ it is economical recycling. Sheets of nice wrapping paper can cost as much as £2-£3. When given a gift, delicately unwrap it. This will have the additional bonus of giving the illusion to the present giver that you are taking pleasure and time in unwrapping their generous and well considered gift. By then ironing the piece of paper, you will find that any remaining sellotape will peel clean off, and you have a fresh sheet – good as new.
- We should all try to spend no money at all for one week. (excluding the necessary of evils of rent/ electricity etc.) I will be doing this and blogging about the results very soon – but not this week you understand, I’ve got a wedding to go to.
- Candles apparently burn for much longer if you have frozen the wax, so chuck your candles in the freezer and get twice the light/ fragrance/ ambience. Just the excuse I need to ‘invest’ in Jo Malone.
Did you see the show? Pick up any gems that I have missed. Let me know.
Oh, and if you ever find yourself darning your husband’s socks because he has put his long toe-nail through the end – throw the needle and thread away and buy him some nail scissors.
It put me right off my dinner.